The Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) through the Artist Training Division, is now accepting applications for the Virgin Labfest 18 Writing Fellowship Program which will be held on June 13 – June 25, 2023.
The Virgin Labfest 18 Writing Fellowship Program is a two-week mentorship program on the study and practice of dramatic writing for the stage. The fellows will take part in lectures, discussions, and workshops on playwriting and script critiquing. They will also be given tickets to this year’s festival plays, as well as the opportunity to participate in the talkback and interaction with known playwrights and directors. This year, the Virgin Labfest 18 Writing Fellowship Program will be held onsite at the CCP and other alternative venues. The Fellowship Program will culminate in a staged reading of the fellows’ works on June 25, 2023 at the CCP.
To qualify, the applicant must:
- be a college student or a young professional;
- be 29 years old or below;
- not have had any play produced by a professional theater company;
- not have had any play published in a literary journal;
- not have won in any national/ international playwriting/ screenwriting competition;
- submit the following requirements via email to the firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “VLF18WFP Application – <Surname>” (example: VLF18WFP Application – Dela Cruz):
- a. Duly accomplished and signed Application Form (Downloadable from this link: https://tinyurl.com/VLF18WFPAppForm)
- b. One (1) to two (2) sample stage plays, full or excerpts, with the following requirements:
- i. Written either in Filipino or English;
- ii. In .pdf format (12 points, double-spaced, 8” x 11” paper);
- iii. The maximum total number of pages of the submitted sample stage play(s) is 10 (whether one or two plays).
- iv. The real name / identity of the applicant must not be written on any part of the sample work(s).
- c. For COVID-19 vaccinated individuals, please attach a photo of your vaccination card/ID/certificate. For non-COVID-19 vaccinated individuals, you will be required to present a RT-PCR test with negative result at your own expense taken at least 1-2 days before June 13, 2023.
- be present for the entire duration of the program, rehearsals and performance for the Culminating Showcase
Only complete application requirements will be considered.
- Requirements must be received by 11:00PM, May 16, 2023
- Announcement of accepted applicants: May 30, 2023
A minimal registration fee of P2,500 will be required of all accepted fellows.
The Virgin Labfest, an annual festival of unpublished, unstaged, untried and untested works of playwrights, directors and actors produced by the CCP, Tanghalang Pilipino and the Writer’s Bloc has gained a reputation of producing provocative and outstanding ‘virgin’ plays mostly which have been recognized by the Palanca Awards for Literature.
For inquiries on the Virgin Labfest 18 Writing Fellowship Program, interested individuals can reach the CCP Artist Training Division via phone at 8832-1125 local 1605 (look for Kris Reyno) or via email at email@example.com.