Nominations for 2015 Thirteen Artists Awards
December 12, 2014
The Cultural Center of the Philippines
DATE/ TIME/ VENUE:
Deadline for nominations: 12 December 2014, 6 pm
The THIRTEEN ARTISTS AWARDS (TAA)
began as a curatorial project of the Cultural Center of the Philippines (CCP) Museum under the directorship of its first curator Roberto Chabet (1937-2013). The first group of artists gathered under this program exhibited their works in 1970. In a document on the event, Chabet made a critical connection between the Thirteen Artists and the Philippine Modernists. Both generations of artists were viewed to have sought in their time the chance and risk to “restructure, re-strengthen and renew art making and art thinking... that lend viability to Philippine art.” Since then, the award would be given to deserving recipients without regularity or pattern, and always subject to constant revision. This partly explains the interesting texture of the roster.
It is in this context that the Thirteen Artists Awards is sustained to this day: to mark the turnings in and of Philippine contemporary art, to update its modernizing potential and to assess how artists today engage with other forces in the art world.
In 2009, the CCP Thirteen Artists Awards was established as a triennial event. What has characterized the work of the awardees, then and now, is a fresh visual language, innovative solutions to artistic problems, and sustained creative output.
The 2015 Thirteen Artists Awards is open for nominations until 12 December 2014, Friday at 6 pm.
Who are qualified for nomination?
Nominated artists must possess the following eligibility requirements:
• Body of work characterized by artistic integrity, innovativeness, and forcefulness of ideas
• Responsiveness to contemporary realities
• Evidence of sustained artistic activity demonstrated by a track record of individual exhibitions and group shows for the past three years.
• Engagement with contemporary visual art forms including, but not limited to, painting, sculpture, multimedia, installation, performance art, photography, printmaking and digital imaging.
• Filipino citizenship
• Less than 40 years old in the year of conferment or must be born ON OR AFTER 1975
Who can nominate?
• Art councils, art groups, heads/deans of art schools, museum and gallery curators and directors, art critics and past Thirteen Artists Awardees may submit a maximum of three (3) nominations each.
Who will comprise the board of judges?
• The CCP Visual Arts and Museum Division under the Production and Exhibition Department and the Office of the Artistic Director will convene a Selection Committee composed of four (4) past awardees and the head of the CCP VAMD
• The decision of the Selection Committee is final.
Official nomination forms are available from the CCP Visual Arts and Museum Division office, 4th floor CCP Main Theater Building, or may be downloaded below.
13 Artists Nominations
December 12, 2014
- 6:00 pm - TANGHALANG MANUEL CONDE (Dream Theater)